Tuesday 19 May 2009

Remains of Godzone (NZ)

Quenstown was lovely fun, we played Frisbee golf in the gardens there and ate out and met up with the people we had been on the magic bus with earlier who we had lost at Franz Josef. And then an early start to take an Intercity bus to Christchurch which was nice, and then dinner somewhere fancy, because we're all allowed to splash out on a nice meal every once in a while. Two nice days in Christchurch where we also finally saw a kiwi! Then onwards to Australia! Really early flight to Melbourne, slept in the plane and then arrived at the other side of the world!

(Running out of time, so will do a brief itinerary)
-Melbourne for a week with the super duper lovely Gardner family (Amy was one of the lovely exchange students in Rutland in my first year of uni)
-Oz Experience Matey tour which brought me from Melbourne to Wilson's Promontory, the southernmost point of mainland Australia, then to Thredbo by Mount Kozzieosco (not spelt that way, but pronounced that way by Ozzies, the highest mountain in Australia), and then through Canberra to Sydney.
-Oz Experience Surf tour, taking me from Sydney to Surf Camp (the highly secret Spot X for surfers, where we got a free surf lesson), then to Byron Bay (beautiful!) and then to Brisbane where I met my friend from uni, also an exchange student for a semester.
-Ashmore, where I stayed with distant family, Dianne and Judah Moses. It was lovely there! Such lovely people and they treated me to some lovely meals and an outing to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where we saw a birds of prey show and fed kangaroos and lorikeets and even had a chance to hold a koala again! (I'd already done that in Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, there are pictures which I will send out when I return).
-Airlie Beach, flew there from Brisbane for two beautiful cruises of Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays and then Reefworld where I tried to scuba dive (but didn't do it in the end) and snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. Met a lovely woman there who is French Canadian, also travelling by herself so we hung out together all the time :-) Was nice.
-Fly back to Brisbane, stay with Anna another night and then a 9 hour bus ride to Coffs Harbour where I am now staying with the lovely Matt Lee who I know from Stage Crew in JFK High School.

Today we plan on exploring the Big Banana (reason why Coffs Harbour is famous) and then going to the Pet Porpoise Pool to pet porpoises and sea lions. Woo! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment